• May 16May 23rd- 1st, 2nd and & 3rd Exams/1:51 dismissal

• May 16May 22nd- 9th hour exam

• May 16May 19th- Graduation practice 9am/ Ceremony 7pm in BHHS Gym

The student news site of Bunker Hill High School

BHHS Up On The Hill

Filed under Student Life

Stress Relief

Studies show that students in this day and age have a similar stress level to patients in 1900s mental institutions. Students struggle with a steady amount of homework and the need to study for hours to keep up with their classes. With hours of study on their minds, students have almost no free time to enjoy doing what they love. This is the cause for a build up of stress without release, causing students to go crazy, slide into depression, or suffer from nights of insomnia. Luckily, there are small things students can do to relieve stress so they don’t have to suffer through it all.

One of the many small practices students can perform is to take a long bath. Soaking in the bath tub can be healthy not only in the sense of cleanliness, but also to relieve muscle tension and headaches. Adding certain oils and salts to a bath can give a form of personalized aromatherapy to help people relax. Taking a bath can give students time to step away from their work or to think out a solution to a problem they may be having with their work. Baths are all around good for helping relieve stress from a long day of work.

A second small practice of stress relief is to take a short walk around the neighborhood. Students often find it hard to work after they have sat in the same place or general area for a long time, so a change of scenery can help revitalize the thinking process. Walking is good for physical health and studies have shown that exercise is proven to relieve stress. As the heart rate increases and blood flows more smoothly through the body, fresh oxygen is carried to the brain, making thinking a little easier.

A third practice to help relieve stress is to take a few minutes to draw or write something unrelated to the work being done. While this shifts the focus from one thing to another, it also gives the mind a brief rest to regroup. Working on something else can keep the mind in a similar working state, but by doing something interesting, students may pay more attention and be back in a state of efficiency.

The last of many practices for stress relief is listening to music. Music has long been said to help increase focus in children and teens, but listening to a favorite song or artist can make this more enjoyable. Students may take a few minutes from their work to dance or sing to their favorite songs, which is very good for boosting moods and increasing blood circulation.

After long hours at school, students must work on hours of homework a week, making almost no time for recreation and escape from work, causing stress levels to rise. While students may not have much time to take care of this stress, there are still small things to help, such as taking a bath, going on a short walk, drawing or writing something, or listening to music. Using these methods, students will be able to relax and enjoy life a bit more, possibly even working faster and more efficiently.